In typical a case of running amok, a male who has shown no previous sign of anger or any inclination to violence will acquire a weapon and, in a sudden frenzy, will attempt to kill or seriously injure anyone he encounters.
Wikipedia offers some suggestions on possible causes.
1. pysical consequence of alcoholism, drug addiction, heat or internal parasites.
2. a sudden explosion of internal tension created by life in a highly hierarchical society; both Malay and Javanese traditional societies are said to have been extremely hierarchical, with an emphasis on deference to rulers.
3. a form of spirit possession.
4. amok is closely related to male honor (amok by women is virtually unknown). In many cases where the background of the amok-runner is known, there seems to have been some element of deep shame which prevented the man from living honorably, as he saw it, in his own society.
5. Running amok was both a way of escaping the world (since perpetrators were normally killed) and re-establishing one's reputation as a man to be feared and respected.
When Lulu read about how this 15 year old boy stabbed a seven year old to death over "allegedly disturbing chicken and turkeys ", it made Lulu think, is that what this running amok that Nazri is talking about?
To lose you cool and get so, so uncontrollably angry that you kill someone in rage?
yes Nazri, there is a limit to everything. Running amok does not excuse you from taking the life of someone's son. It doesn't. "Sorry"s and "I didn't mean to do it" will not return someone's dead son to him.
Anger needs to be managed. Tantrums should not be tolerated but taught how to be dealt with.
Lulu feels very sad for the seven year old's family, his friend who was with him and the 15 year old who has to bear the guilt of taking the life of another for the rest of his life.
Run amok? Let's learn to control our anger.
if you would like to read more about Controlling Anger, do drop by this site managed by the American Psychological Association.